Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Me me’s Napoli Beef Tips

Mr. Jordan and I are both social workers at a fairly small office so when we first started dating we decided not to tell anyone at work about our relationship (of course most already knew by the time we finally made the announcement). But we would plan lunch dates almost every day. One of our absolute favorite dinner leftovers was Matt’s grandmother’s recipe for Napoleon Beef Tips. Matt would heat up the Napoleon Beef Tips and we would meet at a nearby park…sharing lunch and soaking in the sun. It was those innocent little lunch dates that allowed me to get to know Mr. Jordan’s kind and patient heart, which of course led to falling in love. Sometimes we would have really great conversations and sometimes we would just relax or play catch. I was so sad when the end of fall came and it was too cold to meet at the park. Meeting at a restaurant would have got really expensive…we are social workers after all.

Here we are 2 ½ years later…married with a mortgage and planning for our future and to think it all started over Me me’s Napoleon Beef Tips. I never knew Me me but I know that she had a grandson that cared a lot about her.


BEEF TIPS NAPOLI
(Me me’s recipe 1960)

3 lbs. boneless chuck, rump or stew beef
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. Wesson Oil (ha ha original recipe!)
1  ½ c. water
2 (6 oz.) cans of Hunt’s Tomato Paste
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
½ tsp. sugar
1 tsp. oregano
1 small carrot (thinly sliced)
1 clove garlic (crushed) or 1/8th tsp. garlic powder
1 lb. sea shell or elbow macaroni
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp. chopped parsley or chives

Cut beef into 1 ½ to 2 inch cubes.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  In large skillet, brown meat in Wesson.  Mix tomato paste with water, lemon juice, sugar, oregano, carrot and garlic.  Pour over meat and cover.  Simmer for 1 ½ to 2 hours until beef is tender.  Add more water if sauce thickens too fast.  Salt to taste.  Serve with boiled & drained macaroni blended with Parmesan cheese and parsley. Makes 6 servings.

Mr. Jordan substitutes the 2 cans of tomato paste for 1 can of tomato paste and 2 cans of tomato sauce.



Running Update
On a side note…I have been training for a 25K and each weekend I look at which day it will reach at least 40 degrees so I can do a long run outside. Oh how I am yearning for warmer weather. The coolest thing about living in the city is the ability to run 10 miles and observe a new scene every five minutes. This past weekend as I was making my way downtown I came across Chicago’s Buckingham Fountain and decided to take a picture with my phone. I thought I would do this every weekend until May to track spring’s progress.







1 comment: