Friday, March 25, 2011

A fruitful harvest

This morning when I stepped outside I was tempted to turn around, put my pajamas back on and crawl under the covers until a real spring settled on Chicago. With better judgment and a paycheck in mind I ventured out onto the snow dusted deck, down the four million icy steps and headed to work. While stopping for a morning latte, I thought "there has to be a glimpse of spring somewhere." When I came home at lunch time I saw it...that glimpse of spring was staring me in the face. You see, every since we moved into our condo Mr. Jordan has discovered that he has quite a green thumb. Last summer our deck was covered with an over grown tomato plant, different kinds of peppers, and a rosemary plant. This year Mr. Jordan is expanding. He planted lots of tomato, basil, bell pepper and jalapeƱo pepper seeds. In just a short time these little seedlings have sprouted. Mr. Jordan moves the little seedlings to the back door for sun during the day and they greeted me when I walked in. I can't wait to see all the plants covering our back deck and Mr. Jordan protecting his plants from the city dwelling pigeons and squirrels...it was quite a battle last year until we discovered a little plastic dinosaur and the reflection from a CD was all it took to scare away the critters.

So here's to a fruitful harvest and hopefully no more snow!


 
Here's a good resource for anyone looking to plant an urban garden:


3 comments:

  1. WOW! A plastic dino was all it took? We could have a whole army protecting our garden...I was thinking of just getting a berry bush- I'll postpone my visit 'down south' till harvest time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the expansion of the garden we might need to borrow your army...lol! You shouldn't wait that long before venturing south:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think my daughter is very talented. What an enjoyable blog. Keep it up I look forward to reading it...love you my sweet.

    ReplyDelete