Friday, April 15, 2011

A peaceful and refreshing season


Ever since I can remember I have had a hard time focusing on the here and now. I’m always getting ready for the next trip or the next event. I think graduating college was a real shock to my on-the-go system. Starting a new job and moving to Chicago was fun and exciting and meeting and marrying my best friend was exciting. But it's the in between times that I struggle the most…when life is neither exciting nor difficult.

For this reason one of my favorite verses is Psalm 23:
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Through the highs and lows of life it seems that this is where I am always led back to...what feels sometimes like the mundane but is actually where everything feels peaceful and right. I am working on savoring these moments...the here and now and thinking less of what's to come.

I just returned from a cruise with my parents, older sister and nephews. I was reminded on this trip how truly blessed I am to have such a loving and supportive husband as well as family (both new and old) and reminded of how quickly time passes. My oldest nephew is now 6 and it seems like only yesterday I was holding him for the first time. He's growing up and only interested in cuddles when he first wakes up and he's too groggy to push you away. But it's the moments when he tells you he loves you and holds your hand (more because he thinks you need it…which is probably true) that I savor.
The 6 year old & the 2 year old

So in this calm and peaceful season I am going to be thankful for what I have and focus on what's important: my husband, my family, my friends and most importantly the One that brings me to these peaceful seasons to refresh my soul.



Hope everyone has a peaceful and refreshing Easter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment